With so many people talking about the new Ubuntu Font that’s soon to be released to the public for beta testing, I thought I would take the opportunity to post a quick and easy guide to testing these fonts before everyone else does!
If you’d like to test these fonts, then you need to follow these instructions exactly (since the ppa is “private”). I found other site instructions a bit confusing, so if you follow my directions you should have these installed effortlessly and pain free in no time.
- With your LaunchPad.net account, go to the following “Kubuntu Users” link and Join their team:
- Now open a new tab and navigate to the following link. Once there, you should see the PPA listed as “ppa (ppa:ubuntu-font-beta-testing/ppa)” in your list and it may be the only one. There should be a link labeled “View” to the far right of it, click it.
- The link that you just opened when clicking view should list software sources for this PPA that are unique to you. Open your software sources list file and copy these two source lines to the bottom, save and close (using the following command to open the sources).
sudo gedit /etc/apt/sources.list
- Add the PPA key so the package is authenticated properly when you install:
sudo apt-key adv –keyserver keyserver.ubuntu.com –recv-keys 42F834EC
- Update your software sources. Your new access to the private PPA may take between 5-15 minutes before its processed, so if you see errors for this software source in the terminal, be patient and try updating again in a few minutes.:
sudo apt-get update
- Install the font:
sudo apt-get install ubuntu-private-fonts
- Now that the fonts are install, apply them by right clicking on your Desktop -> Change Desktop Background -> Fonts (tab):
You should now have the new font installed. Good luck and enjoy!