So I’ve been looking up some information trying to figure out how to install Mac OS X on my AMD machine which already has Vista Ultimate installed. I came across several helpful sites in my search and although I don’t have it setup successfully just yet..I thought I’d share the information that I found.
First off, to install Mac OS X on a regular pc you have to get a *patched* version of the install disk. Please don’t ask me where you can get a hold of a copy of this. 😉
I used a prepatched version called “Mac OS X JaS 10.4.8 Intel/AMD Install DVD”. The steps are pretty easy.
- Get a pre-patched install disk and burn it with your favorite program.
- Create a partition on your hard drive at least 6GB..leave it unallocated.
- Insert your install disk and restart.
- Make sure that during installation you select all of the appropriate settings to install for your computer’s hardware.
- After installation completes successfully you will need to restart your computer.
You can play around in OSX for a while if you wish, but you need to configure your boot loader to dual boot Vista and OSX. You can find a guide for this here. There are also plenty of other guides out there that you can use.
It would also be wise to take a look at a compatibility list to make sure that your hardware is supported. You can check that here.
Updates will come soon when I successfully get Mac OS X installed. I’ve heard that a version of 10.4.9 by uphuck is pretty reliable, so I’m in the process of installing it.